I can remember one particular instance where listening was difficult for me. I was in class and someone right in front of me was watching an NFL playoff game. I decided not to miss class because it was review day and I needed to pay attention because the next test was important. If it were not review day, I would have stayed home to watch this game. Because the person sat in front of me, it was hard for me to pay attention. I think it was because of my selective attention. I love football and am a huge fan of the team that was playing in the game and I did not really care about the history class. Because the game was more important to me, I was drawn toward the game making it very difficult to pay attention to the lecture. As a result I didn’t do to good on the test, next time ill move seats!
I feel your pain, and am surprised that you were able to force yourself to a class during an NFL playoff game. Regardless of whether there was a laptop in front of me with the game on I would have been distracted about what I was missing and the rest of the country was enjoying at that moment. I too would have prioritized with playoff football of my favorite team taking number one as far as importance. Selective listening would reach an all time low when a playoff game was playing right in front of me. The task I would have most difficulty in not doing would be to cheer openly during a review session.
ReplyDeleteHello.....I could really relate to your post this week because this happens to me all the time when I’m in my classes. In my night class people always bring their laptops and are either on facebook, or playing games, or like you mentioned in your post watching sports and it does get distracting. While I don’t watch sports all the time it does catch my attention so I end up not paying attention as much as I should have in class. I guess its because what the people are doing on their laptops seem much more interesting then what the teacher is talking about in class.
ReplyDelete