Cultural barriers can be detrimental to group creativity. Barriers that are mentioned in the book are a requirement for conforminity, an expectation of practically, particular arenas for competition or cooperation, an expectation of politeness and following rules for social order, reliance on statically proofs, a dependence on generalizations, a trust in the power of reason and logic, and a reliance on expert knowledge. I think that some of these things would keep a group from being creative because every different person has a set of rules that has been shaped for him/her while he was growing up. If someone does not know how to be free and is used to doing it the way he has been taught then it would be hard for a member to free himself from the old way and be creative. I myself have fallen in this. My group gets a problem that I know how to solve one way but no other way. When the way I know how to solve it is not available then its hard for me to think about another way to solve the problem
Hey there,
ReplyDeleteI like how your post was straight to the point and how you explained why cultural barriers would keep a group from being creative. I completely agree with you on why these barriers would keep a group from being creative because we all have been brought up and grown with different sets of values and norms that have become normalized to us. We are used to our own ways of doing something, then when we are in a group with different people having a different set of values and standards or understanding of things, that can pose a challenge for the group members because they are each used to their own way of thinking. So that us where and why thinking outside the box helps bring about that creativity.
Great post overall!
~little miss daisy