Collaborative being defined as a ‘Win-win” situation is best type of conflict resolution and is what every group strives from when in conflict. Collaborative conflict resolution is energy consuming because it takes time and effort to come up with a solution that satisfies all parties involved. Collaborative conflict resolution that I have engaged in was when I was a part of a group that was deciding on when to meet next. Half the group wanted to meet in the morning to get it done with, while the other half wanted to sleep in and meet later. The group decided to meet a little before noon because it let members sleep in as well as get it done with somewhat early in the day. This is a simple example of collaboration conflict resolution because it was a win-win for all members in the group. It required extra time and energy to find a time that everyone was free at but the solution was worth it.
Competitive conflict is different from collaborative conflict in that one side wins, or gets what they want, while the other side has to deal with it. This would be if the group said they were going to meet in the morning and those who wanted to sleep in would be out of luck. I would say that most of the time collaborative conflict resolution is the most satisfying to me because I like to go along with the team. There are times that in the win-lose situation I might lose and that’s never fun. I figure if everyone is willing to compromise a little the best decision for the group members will be made, but it dosent always work out like that.
I enjoyed your post, and your example of collaborative conflict management is great. I have also had group members divided in their choices, but usually there is never a consensus on choices, and there is always people upset over decisions. I think that the time collaboration is a great example of working together to make it work for the whole group and not just one portion.
ReplyDelete