Yes, I believe there are group norms at SJSU. Norms of being a student here are doing the homework for all the classes, especially classes that have a lot of group work because if you do not do the homework then you cannot participate in the group part. I think most of the norms of being a SJSU student are kind of things you know you should do to be successful at school. On the other hand, the group that I am associated with has countless norms. Some norms to point out are if you are not 5 minutes early to a scheduled meeting then you are late. No talking on the bus before games because if you are then it shows coaches that you are not concentrated on the task before you and you are just screwing around. Another norm in my group is not being late or missing any classes because if you are caught doing this the entire team is punished. There are many norms associated with the football team and these ones that I mentioned really only scratch the surface. I think that the difference between the two groups is with being a student are things you should do but you are on your own and its ultimately up to you to do it. but with football they are more hold your hand you must do this and you must do this and if you don’t you will be punished. There is only one way to do it and you either do it their way or leave. I think I have adapted to these norms. First adapting to school was easy because I want to succeed. Getting used to football norms was a little harder but I think I have finally come around to their ways and have adapted to their norms.
I agree that there are norms here at SJSU and I think it is probably safe to say that doing homework is a norm for every educational institution and if not, there's a problem. That is interesting that a group you are part of has the 5 minutes early norm. I have always wondered about these norms before because in a way it's not like you are early anymore you are simply on time if you follow this norm. I can understand how those norms would be harder for you to adjust to than the rather simple norms of college life like homework or being on time.
ReplyDelete