Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How do anonymity, group size, and proximity influence participation and communication in CMC groups?

Anonymity, group size, and proximity influence participation and communication in CMC groups greatly. Larger CMC groups “Appear to benefit the most from using CMC, as they generate more ideas per member than smaller CMC groups.” This is because there are more ideas facilitating, which in turn spark more ideas from others hearing things they have not thought about. Diversity is also a great help in CMC communication because it bring more knowledge and different experiences to the table, which in turn make it easier to solve complex problems. Proximity plays a role because people that are not in the same room, or can not see each other do not feel the pressures to conform to the group and in turn stick with their original ideas. This Helps the small group process because it brings more ideas to the table. This also goes with anonymity, because these people are are not seen by the group do not conform to the groups identity.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chim Richards. You did a really good job on your post for this week. You answered the discussion question very well. I thought that the effects that anonymity, group size, and proximity have on a CMC group were very interesting. I thought that proximity was the most interesting out of all the influences on a CMC group. I like that you said that when people aren't in the same room or cannot see each other they don't feel the pressure to conform to the group and essentially stick to their original ideas. I think that is so true. I know that personally I am stronger when I am in a CMC group and I can stick up for what I want better sometimes. It really just depends on what I think is best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some really good points in your post that I agree with. It is so amazing how different outcomes can be for CMC and f2f situations. I thought one of the most important things was proximity. Like you said, proximity means that members do not have to feel pressured to conform. If this is the case, they can offer their own opinions and push the team to be more creative. Although I can see how it might also cause conflict. It is like in class when the teacher asks for a vote. No one wants to be the odd man out, so a lot of people look around the room to see who raised their hand before raising their own. Proximity in CMC allows people to stand by their decisions firmly. Having a large and diverse CMC group is also beneficial. I would agree that more ideas and solutions would be offered, and they would be applicable to a larger audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like a broken record because I feel like CMC (from the reading) comes across as the better mode of communicating and like you point out for obvious reasons. The best part is about proximity, we arent tempted (if extroverts) to talk to our neighbor, or text when we arent supposed to. If we are introverted we dont feel embarrassed to speak up, or feel the need to conform to group expectations. In the project observing the small group I realized in person, many quiet individuals allow the more outspoken ones to make all the remarks. This doesnt mean they know what they're talking about! The quiet person may have had great opinions but I never heard them! So overall, I think proximity is one of the most important hinders ftf serves it's group process. Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete