Saturday, February 12, 2011

chapter 3 + 9 post #2

Every group has norms and every norm serves a specific function that is beneficial to the group. These norms and function make a group run more efficient. Functions of norms in groups are decisions made to better the group. Table 9.3 on page 155 shows a clear example of the thought processes that is goes into group members mind as they are making the decisions that will become norms in the group.
A violation of a norm happens when a group member does not fully “understand what the group norms are, identify with the groups goals, plan to belong to the group for a long period of time, feel a high level of cohesiveness in the group, or decide what they are lesser power or status than other group members”. (pg. 44) I have experienced group members violating the norms within groups I have been in. The group that I am in the most has many norms. Most the time when people violate these norms it is because they do not fully understand the norm. Every year we have a whole class of freshmen come in and they have to learn a lot of rules and norms fast. These are the kids who usually violate the norms but only because they fully do not understand them.

3 comments:

  1. After reading your post I realized that I might have never thought of someone breaking the norm as not fully understanding the norm. After thinking on it a bit I have come to the conclusion that if a group does not make a set of clearly defined rules to abide by then they are leaving the norm open to personal interpretation, and when a group does this they create an opening for group members to consistently go against the grain of the group by putting their own justification on their actions. It is important for the group to understand each others learning styles and take it into consideration before the group acts on the violation of the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree I didn't even think that someone violating a group role would simply be because they were not familiar with it. My immediate thought was that the person intentionally meant to violate that norm. I can see now how if someone where to go out with a different group of people and be immediately shunned, it could be simply because they violated a norm they were not aware of within the group. I like this concept it will definitely make me look more at the people and groups and norms within them when I am out with different ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it is very true that most of the time the people who are violating group norms are those that are new to the group. If group norms keep getting violated then it might be a good idea to make the norms that you can be explicit norms, those that are written down and act more as policies..!

    ReplyDelete